Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The Disenfranchisement of New York City?

I live in Brooklyn, New York, and I registered to vote on the last day possible before the election (I've moved 4 times within Brooklyn over the last year). I received my acknowledgment notice about a week ago which told me I was registered and the location of my polling place.

Last night, I noticed that the acknoweledgment notice said "registration effective on 11/09/04...Let's just say I freaked out...

Then, today, as I was about to head to the elections office, I received a postcard which announced that "You are eligible to vote on November 2nd, 2004."

Dear Voter:

We apologize if you received an original Acknowledgment Notice stating that you were eligible to vote "November 9, 2004." The date on that notice obviously was an error and has been corrected. You should have already received a 2nd notice which states "Your registration remains in effect. A duplicate ID card is included".

If you have any further questions, in regard to this matter please call 1-866-868-3692 (Vote NYC).)

Obviously? Who fucking wrote this message.

Obviously?

Obviously, whoever wrote this doesn't seem too concerned about the fact that eligible voters might now think that they can't vote. Scumbag....(sorry for the language...but I have a right to be pissed...last year when I voted my name wasn't on the roll and I had to cast a provisional ballot even though I had received a card that said I was good to go...as you all may or may not know...provisional ballots aren't counted unless it's a close race...so, basically, my vote wasn't counted last year).

Guess what?

I never received that "2nd notice." I never received a "duplicate ID card."

I called the number...and I was relieved to find out that I AM registered...but how many other people got this notice?

And how many other people didn't get EITHER one of the newer mailings.

I'm going to call every agency I can to let them know about this. If you have a website or a blog...please write about this and trackback to me. This story needs to be on the front page of every New York City paper so that all eligible voters know that they can still vote this election.

Oh...one last thing. Fuck Bush. Vote for Kerry!


|




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?