Saturday, January 08, 2005

The Banned Diary?

I was banned from Daily Kos sometime between November 10th and 11th, 2004. I alluded to the events that transpired in a prior post, and a few other bloggers blogged about it, but, until now, I haven't gone into details about what happened. Since Markos has a diary entitled "Bannings" on his blog, now's as good a time as any, to come cleaner.

When you get banned from Daily Kos it means that you can't post anymore diaries, you can't make any comments, and you can't rate other people's comments or recommend their diaries. Your prior comments and diaries don't disappear but they can't be rated anymore either. You also lose the power to edit or remove your words, if you so desire. You can still read the contents of the Website, of course (you're not redirected to somewhere like here), but, basically, you lose your "community" status. The worst thing is that you don't receive any word when you're banned. No e-mail, no message in your account. You just are. It's kind of like Kafka's The Trial, in a way.

Lately, I've been raging against some of the bigger blogs, mainly because they have done little for the largely-underground-driven campaign for election reform. Well, let me rephrase that. In my opinion, they have done a lot to hurt it, instead. But, I don't think it's fair of me to continue to take shots at Markos of Daily Kos without reprinting the what-I-assume-is-the-reason-I'm-banned diary.

So I will.

I feel it's of the upmost importance to do this, because I fully intend to continue to compliment or criticize or attack the bigger blogs in the same manner that I do to the mainstream media. And, yes, I do feel like we've been duped by some of these blogs. Duped into believing that they represent something other than an alternative to the mainstream viewpoints (same names and memes are covered).

On this Website I have never edited or removed a comment, and I don't think I ever will. I'd rather words that are offensive remain so that they can be seen by all of my readers. If you don't agree or if you take offense, use your words to attack. The use of hidden comments on Daily Kos which lead to the banning of words is...well, you know what it is, and I think it's deplorable.

Instead of DK, I've taken to posting on Democratic Underground. I understand that DU does ban posters just like on Daily Kos. And I don't like that practice. A guy by the name of Blue State Killer once left a comment here, but it remains (okay, maybe I might draw the line if someone outed a CIA agent on my Haloscan...Mr. Novak, beware if you came here from here...here's company, Ala). But, at least, at DU the moderators aren't hypocrites. At DK Markos and his old-school DK cronies attack at will the people they disagree with, then do who-knows-what behind hidden comments. That isn't fair. Of course, it's his Website, and he should be able to do what he wants to do. But, I'm sorry, I just believe that a fundamental aspect of any Democratic blog should be admiration and respect for the first amendment rights of its readers.

Unlike many Kosers, I used my real name. I use it most of the time on the Web when I comment. Probably stupid, but that's just the way I am. I stand by everything I wrote in this diary, except for one part which I apologized for later. Along with the diary, I'm reprinting my pertinent comments and the comments Kid Oakland left in the thread. Fair use or not, this post wouldn't make any sense without them, and some of my readers might even agree with him (note - I later wrote an e-mail to Kid Oakland but he never responded). I'm not going to reprint the other user comments, but here is a link to the diary itself.

One more thing. I had one other diary running at the same time. A more constructive diary entitled "Kerry's Team America Still Active." For all I know, that diary was the one that really got me banned from Daily Kos.

Good And Bad Conspiracy Theories

Wed Nov 10th, 2004 at 02:25:35 EST

Come to my house, walk up the stairs, through the hallway, enter my kitchen, check through all my cupboards and cabinets...and you will not find any tin foil.

So let me get this straight.

According to pretty much every influential left-leaning blogger:

It is not a "conspiracy theory" to suggest (and post pictures) that Bush wore a wire during the debates.

It is not a "conspiracy theory" to suggest that Karl Rove set up Dan Rather and 60 Minutes with a (possibly) phoney document about Bush's lack of service in the Texas Air National Guard.

It is not a "conspiracy theory" to suggest that Karl Rove or Dick Cheney leaked Valerie Plume's name to Robert Novak and others.

It is not a "conspiracy theory" to suggest that our government flew out Saudis so they can avoid questioning in the days after 9/11.

It is not a "conspiracy theory" to suggest that George Bush stole the 2000 election.

OKAY! I get it. Those are good "conspiracy theories." Call them "non-conspiracy theories." None of those will bring about POLITICAL SUICIDE for the Democratic Party.

But these "conspiracy theories" are only for the tin foil heads and fans of Mel Gibson and will be the beginning of the end of life as we know it if any of us even so much as whispers one of them:

14 of the 19 hijackers did not...I repeat...NOT...come from Saudi Arabia (BBC). Those crazy BBCers...they must all wear tin foil hats...because this story has NEVER appeared in the mainstream press...nor has it been posted in a certain site by a certain person who the site is named after even though a certain other person (I'll clear up this conspiracy..it was me) TOLD him about this during the RNC in NYC!

The 2004 election was complete and utter bullshit. Perhaps not fraud...but certainly bullshit!

The fact that mostly African American voters were suppressed by overt GOP tactics and the removal of voter machines from counties with large numbers of newly registered voters.

The fact that...for the first time ever...a huge turnout did not result in a Democratic win (must be that Babe Ruth curse).

But...nooooooooo...we have to browbeat and cajole these big league bloggers to even write one word about all this...but, still, they have to insult us and call us wrong for using the word fraud (even though Republicans are using that word about Pennsylvania and they fucking won!!!!!! are they committing POLITICAL SUICIDE?)

But...I gotta tell you...as nasty as some of these big-time left leaning bloggers have been to the people who are upset about this rotten election...they've been saints compared to those 2 complete ASSHOLES that start every broadcast of Air America (I'm not even gonna say their names...but one of them deserves to get his teeth knocked out...he has the nerve to complain about e-mails which say this should be the top story....and then he spends not more than 5 seconds on Fallujah...then jokes about cheating on his girlfriend...what a prick...that prick was the first one on the air on November 3rd...that prick should've given his audience hope...at this time...even CBS and ABC hadn't given Ohio to Bush...Kerry hadn't conceded yet...but that PRICK talked about the election like it was over...he should be canned...end of digression...but boy does that PRICK piss me off).

Well...I'm not a "SORE LOSERMAN"...I doubted that Kerry would be president even if he won the electoral, popular and american idol votes. Just like Bill Moyers...I know when a coup when I see one.

But this count matters...if we're going to fix future elections...and these timid blowhards should ease off the name calling...otherwise their hits will decline...and the bloggers who haven't CAVED IN will reap the whirlwind (ummm that means go to my blog...lol).

Peace

PS I thought that the post by Kos the other day after the KID OAKLAND fiasco was pretty good...BUT NOW HE'S SLAMMING KERRY ON THE TOP OF HIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

One last point (none / 0)

I think it's reprehensible to spend months upon months telling people to donate money and time for the sake of a particular candidate...only to slam him after he lost.

I was a Dean supporter. I grudgingly supported Kerry at first. The DNC convention (and footage from his Vietnam testimony) converted me...especially Rev. Sharpton's and Gore's speeches...I really loved the fact that all the losing primary candidates were allowed to speak...this told me that a Kerry Presidency would be an inclusive one.

I'm proud that I backed Kerry. I'm proud that I blogged my ass off for Kerry. I'm proud that I went to Pennsylvania on election day and knocked on at least a hundred doors for Kerry.

I'm not going to diss Kerry just because he (might have) lost. And, hell, I never asked anyone to contribute money to his campaign. If I did...and then I dissed him...I'd feel compelled to send thousands of refund checks to all of my loyal readers.

by ronbrynaert on Wed Nov 10th, 2004 at 02:32:31 EST

Listen (none / 0)

you should be ashamed of yourself.

I read this blog like anyone else and don't expect to read crap like this. I'm just a regular Kossack who posted my opinion. I didn't "recommend" it or chose to promote it. I'm sorry, but you have every right to disagree with me on that thread...but you have no right to demonize me here like this.

I'm sorry but your talk about "kicking people in the teeth" combined with your very personal derision of kos and me is fucking childish and irresponsible.

Read your post again....and think for a second what it's like to get hate mail in your inbox. Because it's already happened to me.....not from a winger, like I've had in the past...

but from a fellow Kossack.

Maybe, rob, you're too young to realize how stupid what you're doing is...certainly you're angry.

But other readers should know better than this and say so.....

A rant is one thing....childish violent fantasies combined with demonizing Kos and me is just not good for any of us.

by kid oakland on Wed Nov 10th, 2004 at 03:52:43 EST

You're right (none / 0)

About the kicking in the teeth part. I do apologize...but for just that and nothing else. It was entirely wrong of me...and as a non-violent person I SHOULD be ashamed of myself.

But, Kid Oakland, if because of people like you...nothing happens to change our voting system...like nothing happened four years ago...then you are the one who should be ashamed of yourself.

And hey, maybe you should have thought about what you'd get in return when you wrote your hateful diary the other day.

As far as childish fantasies about demonizing you and Kos....I don't know what you're talking about...Every single thing I wrote was true.

And you deserve our wrath.

by ronbrynaert on Wed Nov 10th, 2004 at 04:01:36 EST

Hmmm (none / 0)

Either you are twelve and have no idea what you sound like, or you should know better.

Either way, that's not really an apology, and I'm not taking it as such, especially given that you've just posted similar sentiments in my diaries.

by kid oakland on Wed Nov 10th, 2004 at 06:31:17 EST

I never wrote one bad thing about Kos (none / 1)

Or Kid Oakland until they began labelling people tin foil hat wearers.

Why is it that people think that they can throw around insults but get mad when people fight back?

by ronbrynaert on Wed Nov 10th, 2004 at 04:07:23 EST


|




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?